Pages

Saturday 13 July 2013

Life Lesson: Don't Care About What Others Think

I try to stay away from blogging anything too personal, but if I can help inspire others and shed new light then why not? I'm sure I'm not the first and only person who has these thoughts, so there's no harm to myself or my privacy. I am back home at my mom's and the second thing I had to do (first being- spending quality time with my sister <3) was to tear open my old diary.

Reflection is so powerful. How can anybody grow if they don't reflect on anything? This is why I kept/keep a diary, even though I barely write in it anymore. I am literally pulling a page from it though from my past and I'm willing to share one of my reflections.

"In order to be truly happy and content, one must live and do things for oneself without fear or judgement from others. When I do things for myself without expecting anyone's approval or praise, I am a lot more at peace with myself. When I start to wander off about what does this person think, will anyone like...did anyone notice etc....it's a negative spiral. Nothing good comes out of thinking that way! I have to literally, constantly remind myself that I should NOT care about what others think. Everytime when I catch myself thinking about what other people may think I tell myself to SHUT UP. And it works.
This is my life and I am going to live it however I want to and I am not living to impress others or to conform to what is regarded as "normal", or that I need to be in a certain phase by a certain age. And for people who do actually judge based upon those things, apparently they are not living free from the demands of society, or whatever.
Believe it or not, it took me a lot of "failures" and falling down with my head hung low to finally build myself up again as a whole new being.
I know that I am not defined by what I consider my "failures" or "successes". I am defined by how I treat others, how I express myself, what I value and believe in...
I am looking forward to living the rest of my life for ME and trying to find passion and the beautiful things in this world".

As should you, whoever who is reading this.


7 comments:

  1. I honestly feel the same way about how you think and the approach that you bring. It is always good to find happiness within yourself. There is one thing though, well at least within my instance. When trying to find happiness or to do things that do make me happy it usually ends up being in the cost of others or within the cost of others happiness. I read a book one called how to be happy, and within the contents of it, it explain how in that situation of having you be happy but making someone else unhappy, it all becomes a paradox. So I guess you'd have to choose what you believe is best suited to please you. I guess I just have a hard time choosing one or the other. To be honest though, If I were to choose my side, my world would flip upside down because I would more then likely give up everything in this life to live another.. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a very valid point, there's always a trade off. I agree that if you live for yourself you can be seen as "selfish" and lose friendships etc. I think if you really wanted to, and lived fearlessly, you can still flip your world upside down.

      Delete
  2. <3 I think when you share these types of 'intimate' posts it builds a connection with your readers and like you said, inspires others. I too was going to write a more personal post, but you beat me to the punch!.. I think you SHOULD lead your life for YOU. It doesn't matter what others think as long as you are truly happy with whatever you do and however you live your life. I appreciate the differences between people, it's those differences that let us learn and sometimes our differences lead to the similarities we have as human beings.

    I think you really are a truly unique person and there isn't anyone quite like you. I feel fortunate to know you and I hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess great minds think alike :P You should still write your personal post because I would love to read beneath your surface.
    You are so sweet Madame, thank you for your lovely words <3 I think everybody has their own quirks and you are no exception. I am very lucky to have gotten to know you better over the years, you are def something else! I hope that we will keep growing our friendship together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way, and I decided that I would not care about what others think of me a long time ago. However that decision has not always been easy to put in place after years of worrying about other people, and as social creatures I think that it could always be a small element of ourselves. But we can still strive towards a happy and carefree life without fear of what others are thinking. Most of the time I've found that although you think people care, or that they're watching, they're really not because they're too busy thinking about themselves, so there isn't much point to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response Aimee, I guess sometimes it depends on who you hang out with. If you're always surrounded by people who judge, are shallow, rude, etc. you will feel more insecure, but if you are around people who are supportive, understanding, positive then you will feel stronger and better in your own skin. You're right though, people mostly just think about themselves.

      Delete
    2. Luckily I've learnt to know who the right people are for me. I used to be 'friends' with a group of people who actually, weren't nice at all. Now I take a long time to get to know people so I can really feel happy around them.

      Thanks for your kind words on my blog, I'm going to carry on reading your blog because I really like it ^-^

      Delete